Monday, December 23, 2013

In the beginning there was: aching...

I am an advocate for any workout that has nothing to do with running. I have always said how I hate it and loathe it with a fiery passion. I've tried it a few times and did nothing but complain afterwards. 

But today... I decided to give it another go. I'm starting this blog with the hopes that this is something I will continue, and not let it be just a "one-post" blog and then be done with the whole running thing. 

Last night, I listened to my aunt and brother-in-law discussing a few men running across the Sahara. THE. SAHARA!! I can't even run 1 mile to save my life! But they went on to talk about how the mind is a powerful thing. My aunt Cindy is a big believer in the mind and what it can do... this has had me thinking about my loathingness for running. If I can't get past 1 mile, I know my body can, so therefore, it must all be in my head. 

So, today I took to the mighty treadmill! Which I prefer because I feel like it propels me forward (ie I work less). As I picked up the pace my calves tightened and burned, my breath became unsteady and short, and I wanted to stop after just 20 seconds or so. But I did not. I grabbed my phone and turned on one of those "couch to 5k" apps. I figured if any old fatty could do it, that means I can!

And that was the first time I told myself "I CAN." so suck it! crazy brain.

I followed what the app asked - walk 2 minutes, job 1 min - for about 25 minutes, then my right foot started to feel fuzzy. I wiggled it and tried to walk differently, but it was all tingly and weird. So, I decided to stop. BUT. I did 25 minutes! 

Now, my legs just ache. Like cray cray.

I will try again tomorrow... I CAN! so suck it.


No comments:

Post a Comment